We keep it healthy
- We use no nuts or nut oils in our cooking. We stopped including sugary desserts. We analyze our menus to meet the latest USDA requirements.
- We survey parents and students to find out what they like and want.
- We have over 15 years experience with CACFP —Child and Adult Care Food Program including providing for Head Start.
- In 2009 we started our first organic garden at Denver Academy, and now offer this service to any of our schools who are interested.
- We maintain gardens at four of the schools who currently use our catering service.
Michaels of Denver has been providing healthy, nutritious lunches to private schools, charter schools, day cares, head start programs and day camps with our division called Independent Schools Food Service Catering since 1996. We have served some of Denver’s finest schools, and several of our current programs have been with us over 10 years!
Sixteen years ago we decided never to serve pre-packaged convenience foods. We strive to create as many home-cooked, from-scratch recipes as possible within the school budget. We developed comprehensive standard recipe, kitchen, and service manuals with the sole purpose of catering student lunches. With our home-style cooking, we serve on cafeteria trays with stainless flatware and napkins from recycled paper to promote environmentally conscious meals. We also use hormone-free milk from Meadow Gold Dairy.
Along the way, we adjusted our menus to meet the changing demands of students and nutrition advancements. We eliminated trans-fats by changing products, stopped frying any food items, and started making many breads and doughs from scratch.
We have four locations so your meals arrive fresh! We serve Fort Collins, Arvada, Denver, Aurora, Colorado Springs, and everywhere in between!